Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Smith Rock Hike

Our adventure this week took us to Terrabone, a beautiful town just outside of Redmond. We took a little detour and visited the Crooked River Canyon.
It was not a place for those scared of heights!
The canyon is beautiful but straight down from the side of the cliff!
It was a fun little excursion but I was glad to leave!
Our greatest adventure was climbing Misery Ridge. Sawyer gave his daddy a great big kiss goodbye as he would soon embark on a great adventure with his mom to the top of the ridge.
He made sure to load up on protein before his great trip to the top.
This place is magnificent!
Canyon got a ride back out of the canyon after our hike.
This was what we conquered!! Misery ridge is a trail that takes you to the top quickly but not without some self inflicted misery...hence the name!
Canyon hiked up 1/2 of the trail by himself and then headed back down with dad. He did such a great job. I don't think it will be long before he can make it to the top!
On the way back down, Canyon and dad practiced making some great echos from this perfect cave.
Peggy this is for you! I wish we could have hiked it out for you but we will just have to come back in search of it again!
Sawyer and I made it to the top and headed around the backside to see the side of Monkey Face Rock. Sawyer was a trooper and was such an encourager for me! He was constantly telling me, "Be careful momma" and "Good job momma." It's hard to see the monkey face of this rock but it's a pretty cool sight. I have multiple posts of this hike with great pictures of the actual face as this has been a favorite hike of ours even before kids. It was also the rock I rock climbed just 6 months ago with Julie. I still can not believe I was standing on top of that rock! Makes my tummy turn just thinking about it!
I think boys, even grown boys like daddy, still enjoy skipping rocks in the water.
And finding treasures like these are also such a great part of our adventures.
You sometimes have blink twice to make sure you are seeing such beauty!
Thankful for this magnificent creation, for this life, full of blessings.
Especially these two. Can only dream about our future times together. For now we are soaking up their individual unique personalities and loving them unconditionally!

3 comments:

Mom to Eleanor and Emerson said...

I just have to say that your pictures are AMAZING, Stacie!! You should consider a second career in photography.. of course, you have beautiful subjects in Canyon and Sawyer as well! I enjoy catching up on your life and wish I was as good. I also wish we had the amazing places to visit that you have at your fingertips. Hopefully we will make it out for a visit soon and experience it! Especially the jumping place :) Lots of love from the east coast, cousin Sarah

Anonymous said...

OK I could not wait, and now I am so glad I took the time to see the blog. Smith Rock one of my favorite placs too. Wow, Canyon I am so proud of you, I hope you are having tons of fun exploring God's Amazing Creation. I am glad you didn't hike the heart rock out, because now we get to go find it again together. Yeah!!!
Speedster

Unknown said...

Fun pics of the family! Where will this weekend's adventure take the Cannells?